Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:02:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Cannon <tcannon@noops.org>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        Clark Mankin <cmankin@harbornet.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD network hired guns?

> > gateway of 0.0.0.0 and unfortunately BSD is completely unwilling to accept
>
> Your gateway is 0.0.0.0 ?  That's . . . um . . . rather unconventional, isn't
> it?  I thought that was a reserved (illegal) IP address.  In fact, I'm really
> pretty sure that it is.  Does Linux really accept a 0.0.0.0 address?

Nah, that's plenty legal. It just means that the whole internet is on the
local LAN.

If you have a router running proxy arp, when that machine tries to connect
to the outside world, it'll arp for the MAC thinking the remote machine is
local, the router will answer for it, and route the traffic. Useful if you
have more than one router and don't want to configure a default route in
case that router dies. It's been replaced by better stuff, like HSRP,
FSRP, VRRP, and the like ... but yes, it is legal. But it's also not what
he's trying to do, either.

And I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone else to, either ;-)

thomas