Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 07:54:01 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

Re: Your answer post to Brian -

	PAX, Eric. We do not wish to see you stop what you're doing, because it
is heading in the right direction. Noone here denies the incredible
paradigm shift that you are indeed a prime mover in. We just want you to
remember your roots, which include the fact that you're standing on the
backs (metaphorically) of all those who gave freely before you. You do
deserve a lot of credit for your actions, and I give it freely because
you've earned it with sweat and brains.

	All we are saying is that for the price of a little HTML -- which we
will gladly submit -- you can present a more balanced view of the Open
Source world. Most money-suckers will actually use FreeBSD because of
the poison-pill (GPL) thoughtfully included with every copy of Linux.
Great. Let them. We believe commercial users DO return source back to
the tree, and we are the stronger for it.

	Brian's great comment about the 1000 $4M companies that benefit from
freeware is so appropriate. Very few might be Yahoo stock-market
darlings, but I personally know that FreeBSD and Apache are prime
reasons my employer is gaining worldwide business, and WOW! our networks
have never run so smoothly!!!

	What we ask will cost you nothing and will benefit us greatly. In fact,
you'll stop getting nagged. (!) All we ask is that you use your
center-stage presence give us a leg up as a part of your project,
because you know in your heart that true freeware IS the One True Way.
I'm sure you'd put your sandals back on if you could!

--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *