Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 1996 23:25:43 -0800
From:      Beavis <b@cc.cc.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Supported Tape Drives

Well, I have been wanting to get a tape backup system for my computer for
a while now.  I have not done so yet because I am seriously worried about
getting a backup system that will not work with my BSD OS (FreeBSD).
Plenty of backup systems work with DOS/Windows 3.x/Windows NT but the
trick is to know whether or not it will work with my FreeBSD OS.

I finally started sifting through the documentation looking for a hint as
to what FreeBSD supported.  The only idea I got was that it supported
SCSI and QIC-40/80.  I am specifically interested in a floppy tape system
for my home so that rules out SCSI.  The QIC-40/80 standard appears to at
the very least be a tape standard but is it also a hardware standard and
if so how do I tell if a tape drive supports it (If it can use QIC-40/80
tapes does that mean it can support hardware standard)?

I have also searched through the archives at the freebsd.org website.
>From this I have gotten the idea of the following:

Ditto Drives are not supported at all (especially the parallel port
drives).

The HP Colorado T1000 drives are not supported at all.

The Jumbo Internal 350 Drive might be supported (it was not explicitly
stated but implied in an archive).

Most SCSI Drives are supported.

That is all I got out of searching through the messages.  I am rather
frustrated that a specific list does not exist (and if it does, it is not
easy to find).  I saw a request for one but no reply to the request.  So,
I have decided to ask my specific questions and find out exactly what is
known.

Here are the Questions:

(My Ideal Drive)
1. Is the SyQuest EZ135 Internal IDE drive supported?
2. Is the SyQuest EZ135 External SCSI drive supported?

(Other Great Options)
3. Is the Iomega IDE Zip drives supported?
4. Are any Iomega IDE/SCSI drives supported?

(Standard Options)
5. Is the Conner Tape Stor 800 internal IDE drive supported?
6. Is the Ditto Easy 800 Internal IDE drive supported?
7. Is the Jumbo Internal IDE drive supported?

If I have missed a specific list somewhere I appologize and ask for a
pointer (or way) to get the list.  If you (questions@freebsd.org) don't
know I understand but **PLEASE** if you know someone who would or a place
I can get this information (without searching for 5 hours on the web
site), let me know so I can forward this message to them.

Thanks for you time (I realize it is a long message),

Bradford Taylor
bnt63261@cs.acu.edu
Abilene Christian University
Abilene, TX