Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:24:29 -0800
From:      Jon Simola <jsimola@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@seton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: pf + pfsync + carp testing ...

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:12:08 -0600, Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@seton.org> wrote:
> Thanks Max and Gleb. You have been a great help. The patch applied
> cleanly and compiled fine. After configuring a few carp interfaces, they
> seem to fail over well. I am curious though, is CARP designed to have
> interfaces fail over individually or as a group?

Just individually.  There is a port for ifstated from OpenBSD that
monitors multiple interfaces and will fail a CARP group if one of them
fails.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2004-November/045852.html
Although it may have made it into the ports tree by now.

> Also, when I configure a carp interface on the command line I do
> something like ...
>
> ifconfig carp0 create 192.168.253.1 \
>   netmask 255.255.255.0 vhid 1 advskew 1
>
> but when I place the equivalent line in rc.conf as ...
>
> ifconfig_carp0="create 192.168.253.1 \
>   netmask 255.255.255.0 vhid 1 advskew 1"
>
> and reboot the box, it does not seem to take. Any suggestions?

add to rc.conf:
cloned_interfaces="carp0,carp1"

That will create the interfaces, then you can use the normal
ifconfig_carp0="inet 192.168.1.4 ..."

--
Jon Simola
Systems Administrator