Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:39:36 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        rshea@opendoor.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: e'net card problems + e'net card autoconfig

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 11:54:47AM +1300, rshea@opendoor.co.nz wrote:
> Hi - Two questions I'd appreciate some help with.
>
> 1. Today I got two error messages on the system terminal ...
>
> ste0: transmission error 88
> ste0: transmission error 82
>
> ... (ste0 is an nic on the LAN side of my firewall)and at the same time ste0
> seemed to stop working. I presumed it was a hardware failure but I rebooted and
> everything is now fine. Can anyone tell me of any diagnostics I could run on
> this card to try to figure out what its problem was/might be (also where I can
> read what,eg, '88' signifies)?

I looked in the source file for the ste driver, and I didn't find the
explanation for the number code, but I did find three things that can
set that error.  Buffer under-run, excess collisions, and something
called RECLAIMERR, which I have no clue about.

> 2. When I built this system I seem to recall that during the installation the
> e'net cards were detected and auto-configured (I might be wrong here but that's
> how I recollect it). So my question is if I need to replace a dead card will
> the system repeat the autoconfig on reboot or was that something that only the
> install did ?

The install uses the GENERIC kernel which comes with drivers for a lot
of different ethernet cards.  Provided you are still running GENERIC,
the kernel should pick up the card on boot.  The configuration of the
card is only done automatically in the install if you are using DHCP,
although there is a neat little gui thing so that you don't actually
have to put entries into rc.conf yourself.  So, you've put in the new
card, you've booted the system, next thing is to search through the
output of #dmesg for your card.  If you installed a card that uses the
same driver, you are all set to go at that point.  If the driver
changes with the new card, then you will have to modify the
appropriate entry in /etc/rc.conf

You will see a line such as this in there:

ifconfig_ste0="inet 100.101.102.101 netmask 255.255.0.0"

Just change the ste0 to reflect whatever new driver, if any, the new
card is using.  Once you've down that you can issue the commands:
#ifconfig ste0 down
#ifconfig ed0(put your card here) up inet 100.101.102.103 netmask
255.255.0.0

On your next boot, the card will be configured by rc.conf, so you'll
only have to configure it manually once.

Hope this helps.

Josh