Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:44:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alan Eldridge <ports@geeksrus.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ache@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/36231: www/apache13: relative URL targets now invalid in Redirect*; very astonishing website breakage ensues

>Number:         36231
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       www/apache13: relative URL targets now invalid in Redirect*; very astonishing website breakage ensues
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical

I updated to the new apache13 port and there's an implementation
change that caused massive breakage to one of my local websites: the
target URL of a Redirect* directive can no longer be a relative URL;
it must be absolute.

Suggest this update should be backed out, as it has the potential to break
many websites badly.

This change is documented by comparing the htdocs/manual/mod/mod_alias.html
files between 1.3.23 and 1.3.24.

Here's the new restriction:

Note: Redirect directives take precedence over Alias and ScriptAlias
directives, irrespective of their ordering in the configuration
file. Also, URL-path must be an absolute path, not a relative path,
even when used with .htaccess files or inside of <Directory> sections.

>How-To-Repeat:

[alane ~/public_html/gronk]$ cat willie_nile/.htaccess
<Files index.html>
 RedirectMatch .* golden_down.html
</Files>
[alane ~/public_html/gronk]$

This redirection no longer works as of the upgrade. It must be rewritten as:

<Files index.html>
 RedirectMatch (.*)/.* $1/golden_down.html
</Files>

or else this error occurs:

[Sat Mar 23 08:57:25 2002] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] cannot redirect '/~alane/gronk/willie_nile/index.html' to 'golden_down.html'; target is not a valid absoluteURI or abs_path

>Fix:

Preferred:

Back out this update.

Alternate:

Add documentation of this change (pkg-message) and a knob to the Makefile
that *must* be supplied in order to install the port.