Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:15:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org (Questions FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD GW vs Router

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Roop Nanuwa <roop@gw.carpoolbc.com> said:

> Hi.. me again =)

> 	Our company wants to switch from a FreeBSD gateway on a T1
> (supplying internal IPs & internet access to internal boxes) to a LinkSys
> Cable/DSL type router. Has anyone ever used these routers? Are they
> better/worse/same as having a FreeBSD GW?

> Any input would be appreciated.. thanks

> RSN

I just got a Linksys at home. It's great. Before I had an old
Compaq 486 running 2.2.8-Stable being a gw/nat/fw dialing up to
my old ISP. And that worked well.

Then I got a Cable Modem. I tried adding a ethernet card (a second
3Com) into the Compaq and the Compaq barfed. I decided since I
wanted to do some VPN stuff anyway, that I'd reinstall upto 4.1
but the Compaq wouldn't take it. I gave up trying, since after
all it is a Compaq.

So, I bought the 4 port Linksys. Hard to beat $150. It just works.
No moving parts to break. It's a 10M downlink port and a 4 port
10/100 Switch. Pretty cool. It's got a simple web interface for
managing dhcp, nat, static/dynamic routing, and Port translation.

So, I don't know how you get your T1 into an ethernet (that sounds
like a router too), but the Linksys is a nice, simple and solution to
the problem.

Paul.

--
Religion can make a person well rounded or an idiot.