Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:02:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, swheeler@altech.ab.ca
Subject:   Re: routing, win95, etc

>From: "Shannon Wheeler" <swheeler@altech.ab.ca>
>Date:   Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:42:33 -0600

>What I don't get is how to make the BSD box see through the Win95 box to the
>rest of the network. I've played alot with 'route add' but haven't found a
>combination that works. I am able to ping 10.7.7.3 from the BSD box but not
>past there to 10.7.7.x.

>I don't know if I'm unable to do it just because I apparently don't
>understand the route command(s) (I thought I did before I ever needed to use
>it ;-) ) or is my major mistake a little further up with the IP address
>assignments? Should this additional network be on 10.7.7?

The dual-homed box would thus be a router; in addition to making its
directly-reachable interface the default router for the FreeBSD box, you
would also need to tell the dual-homed box to route packets between the
interfaces.  I have no clue how to do that except with a stand-alone
router or with a UNIX box, so I can't really help you there....

It's *possible* that others in the FreeBSD community (in
freebsd-questions, for example) may be able to help, but it's not a
FreeBSD issue -- it's a Win95 issue (as far as I can tell).

Were you using the FreeBSD box as the router, that would be fairly
straightforward (and a matter for -questions, if the material at
http://www.freebsd.org/ didn't address the mater adequately).

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915