Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 2020 20:55:31 -0500
From:      Greg Balfour <greg.bal4@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   11.4-RELEASE make delete-old

On a fresh install of 11.4-RELEASE, rebuilding the operating system
results in several files being deleted during the "make delete-old"
step.  This surprised me.  I wouldn't have expected this on a rebuild
of a new install without any updates applied.  See below, but for
example /usr/bin/llvm-ar is present after the initial install but is then
removed by the "make delete-old" step.  Is this to be expected?
Is the correct action to respond y when prompted about the files?

root@test:/usr/src # make -j 4 buildworld buildkernel
root@test:/usr/src # make installkernel
root@test:/usr/src # make installworld
root@test:/usr/src # make delete-old
>>> Removing old files (only deletes safe to delete libs)
remove /usr/bin/llvm-ar? y
remove /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/llvm-ar.debug? y
remove /usr/bin/llvm-nm? y
remove /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/llvm-nm.debug? y
remove /usr/bin/llvm-ranlib? y
remove /usr/share/man/man1/llvm-ar.1.gz? y
remove /usr/share/man/man1/llvm-nm.1.gz? y
remove /usr/share/man/man1/llvm-symbolizer.1.gz? y
>>> Old files removed
>>> Removing old directories
>>> Old directories removed
To remove old libraries run 'make delete-old-libs'.