Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:15:49 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To:        Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>, darrenr@freebsd.org, Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@felyko.com>, "net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>, "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>, "cpet@sdf.org" <cpet@sdf.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfilter(4) needs maintainer

It was pointed out to me that Darren Reed has changed licenses from his I=
P=20
Filter license that's been in IPF since 2005 or so, when he joined Sun, t=
o=20
GPLv2 (probably when Darren left when Oracle took over Sun). Given that I=
PF=20
already lives in src/contrib and src/sys/contrib due to the 2005 license =

change, would that be a problem? If it's OK then I'll maintain it in src.=
=20
If not then a port is in order. Having said that, a port would be messy a=
s=20
IPF's own install scripts update src/sys/netinet, among other locations.

--=20
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert=40komquats.com>
FreeBSD UNIX:  <cy=40FreeBSD.org>   Web:  http://www.FreeBSD.org

In message <D6ADE9C6-868A-4524-A6D7-4EB88F9D6287=40yahoo.com>, Scott Long=
=20
writes:
> The desire to remove it stems from the inability to give it adequate en=
gineer
> ing=20
> service as the network stack evolves.  Simply taking it out of a kernel=
 confi
> g file
> doesn't address that problem at all.  If it's going to stay in FreeBSD =
at all
> , it
> needs to be maintained.  This could be set about a fair amount of stuff=
 in Fr
> eeBSD,
> but IPFilter stands out since there's a high rate of needed change happ=
ening=20
> in
> the network stack, and it shouldn't be left to rot nor to be a stumblin=
g bloc
> k for
> those changes.
>=20
> Scott
>=20
> On Apr 15, 2013, at 12:49 PM, =22Sam Fourman Jr.=22 <sfourman=40gmail.c=
om> wrote:
>=20
> > Thank you to those that have expressed interest in maintaining IP Fil=
ter..
> >=20
> > My thoughts are, could we consider putting a option in the kernel con=
fig,
> > and leaving it off by default for GENERIC?
> > I think this is a acceptable compromise, considering some people wish=
 for
> > it to be removed.
> >=20
> > Sam Fourman Jr.
> >=20
> >=20
> > On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert=40komquats.=
com>wrot
> e:
> >=20
> >> In message <18DF99B0-6E66-4906-A233-7778451B8A92=40felyko.com>, Rui =
Paulo
=E3=81=AE=E3=83=A1=E3=83=83=E3=82=BB=E3=83=BC=E3=82=B8:
I'm