Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:12:53 +0100
From:      Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ssh security

On 18 Mar Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2005, at 6:23 AM, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
>
> >I log in from a remote windows computer on my school using PuTTY w/
> >ssh2. What I'd like to know is how *safe* is the login from this
> >windows machine?
> >I would like to be able to login to my home computer without being
> >worried about some sneaky system operator at work (school) ;-)
>
> The SSH session, I believe, should be secure from sniffing (assuming
> you're using protocol 2).
>
> If someone puts a keystroke logger on your windows machine, they will
> get the password.
>
> If they put a hardware logger on your computer, they will get the data.
>
> If they are watching over your shoulder just as you misstype your
> password as your username, you're probably in trouble.
>
> If someone is viewing your Windows desktop using remote monitoring
> software (like a modified VNC), they'll see your session.
>
> If putty is trojaned, you're in trouble.
>
> If you're *really* paranoid about the connection, grab knoppix and use
> it's ssh client to log in remotely.

OK, thank you and all others who responded so quickly. This summary is
very clear. I changed all passwords right when I came back home ;-)
Assuming bad news has not yet happened..

Maybe I'm paranoid but I'll go for knoppix next time. It's the safest
way to go as I understand now.

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11 ++ FreeBSD 5.3