Date:      27 Apr 2001 14:41:15 -0500
From:      Tim Ayers <tayers@bridge.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to run multiple Apache processes?

J> VirtualHosts combined with .htaccess will support multiple
J> users each having their own DirectoryIndex, AddType and PHP include
J> directory.

J> Correct?

Exactly. I would set things up such that everything is defined
correctly in the config file. None of the directives you mention
should change very much. If the user does want to make changes they
can put it in an .htaccess file.

J> This is very new to me. I always assumed that the apache.conf
J> file was read once and not on each access. Well duh, I
J> guess that is what .htaccess is for?

Yep, .htaccess files are read upon every request (which is the
disadvantage, but in reality it's not that big of a deal unless you
are getting bajillions of hits per second).

Keep asking questions. Apache configuration is very daunting at
first. I'm still learning stuff after a couple years at it. There are
so many variations and permutations. And the default config file is so
d*mn big, it's hard to wade through. Something that might help is to
copy the default, and rip out most of the comments and commented out
sections and things that seem optional. Then you have a file that is
easy to look through and add to. It takes a few (many? ;) iterations
to get stuff working, but in the long run I've always found it easier
to have a "minimal" config file that I can easily scan. If I want the
commentary I look back in the original config.

BTW I highly recommend O'Reilly's "Apache: The Definitive Guide". It
provides many, many examples. Also the "Apache Pocket Reference" is
very handy if you do very much of this stuff.

Hope you have a very nice day, :-)
Tim Ayers (tayers@bridge.com)