Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 12:12:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, lambert@cswnet.com
Subject:   Re: CVSupping un-needed ports

Josef Karthauser wrote:

> It'd be better perhaps if this could be specified in the cvsup config
> file. ?

Probably so.

> If I do a vendor branch import with 'cvs import', how do I get cvs to
> delete files that are no longer part of the branch?  At the moment
> I'm manually diffing the checkedout branch and the original dist,
> and then 'cvs delete'ing the surplus files by hand.  There's gotta be
> a better way :)

There are several cases that are handled differently.

1. The vendor himself has removed some files that used to be in the
distribution.  You can get the list of removed files like this:

    tar tzf old-distfile.tgz | sort > Old
    tar tzf new-distfile.tgz | sorg > New
    comm -23 Old New > Deleted

In this case you must manually "cvs remove" the files before or after
doing the import.

2. There are some files in the vendor's distfile that you
don't want or don't need.  Manually delete them from the
extracted distfile before doing the import.  If there are a
lot of them, you might wish to use the approach described in
"src/contrib/binutils/FREEBSD-upgrade" and implemented in
"FREEBSD-Xlist" there.  Then you won't have to figure it out again
when the next version comes out.

3. There are some files in both the old and new distfiles which you
don't use and have already "cvs removed" from the repository.  You
shouldn't have to do anything in this case.  Doing the import won't
add them to the main branch.  They'll be on the vendor branch, but
that shouldn't cause them to appear in the checked-out tree.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron