Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 2000 02:08:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      <freebsdathome@yahoo.com>
To:        kstewart@urx.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld resets system

--- Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com> wrote:

> freebsdathome@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > I just recently did a fresh install of
> 4.1.1-stable.
> > I've been searching the web site for info on
> compiling
> > and using a new kernel. I'm finding plenty of info
> but
> > its somewhat confusing as this is my first time to
> try
> > to compile a new kernel. I've read the handbook
> > sections for compiling a new kernel. At first I
> read
> > the handbook that came with the install and the
> entry
> > for compiling and installing a new kernel I
> thought
> > said go the make buildkernel, make installkernel
> route
> > for 4.0 and up period. I tried that and make
> > buildkernel failed with errors. I also tried the
> > GENERIC kernel just to make sure it wasn't
> MYKERNEL
> > even after getting a diff and checking for typos.
> > read more and thought that was for upgrading only
> and
> > tried the config, compile, make depend, make, make
> > install process. The compile failed. I read some
> more
> > and found make buildworld to be done before doing
> the
> > make buildkernel, make installkernel. So, I tried
> > make buildworld. That caused the system to reboot
> > about an hour into the build. I've read README,
> > UPDATING, and the Makefile in /usr/src, the
> handbook,
> > and the faq. I'm sure I'm missing something as the
> > handbook on my system is an older version than the
> > version on the web site. I've searched the
> mailling
> > lists also but still I'm missing something
> somewhere.
> > So, whats causing my makes and build to fail or
> reboot
> > my system? Any ideas?
>
> I am assuming you are running csh where you would do
> something like
>
> make buildworld >& bworld.log
>
> If your system panics, you will probably see some
> sort of signal
> error, which is usually hardware related, i.e.,
> memory or cooling.
>
> The first rule on 4.x is following Warner's
> suggestions in
> /usr/src/UPDATING. He has a section on updating to
> 4.x-stable. It may
> not work everytime but you have a lot better chance
> than some of these
> documents written for earlier versions. When it
> comes to the kernel,
> you are supposed to copy GENERIC to some name and
> then edit it to
> build a system your way. MYKERNEL has to exist
> before you start. I
> have a script that I run that does a cvsup and then
> follows the
> buildworld, build[install]kernel, installworld, and
> mergemaster
> sequence. It has served me well.

> [...]

Well, I haven't tried getting a log and checking it
yet.

I was worried that it probably was hardware related,
but hoped it was user error since I'm broke.

I'm confused about the UPDATING file and most of the
commentary or documentation referring to it. Isn't
that assuming that one is actually upgrading from a
previous version? I installed this version from
scratch. Does it apply to my situation?

I did copy GENERIC to MYKERNEL and edit it
appropriately. I only made note of trying to build it
to point out I had problems with it also and that it
wasn't just MYKERNEL.