Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:27:44 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Subject:   Re: softupdates on root partition, no floppy

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 11:25:16PM -0500, a little birdie told me
that David Scheidt remarked
> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> >
> > Question of the day: Why do I have async writes on a sync partition?
>
> Because only meta-data writes are done synchronously.  Data is still done
> asynchronously.

Even with SYNC mounts?
(Not 'default', explicit 'sync'.  It takes quite noticeable amounts of
time to, for instance, install kernels.)
From fstab:
# Device    Mountpoint  FStype  Options                 Dump    Pass#
/dev/da0s1a /           ufs     rw,sync                 1       1

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com