Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:24:53 -0300
From:      Patrick Tracanelli <eksffa@freebsdbrasil.com.br>
To:        Cesar <listas@itm.net.br>
Cc:        ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw2 with mac filtering

Cesar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I wanted to finish my firewall rules doing a "deny all from any to
> any", but I can't do that with mac filtering at same time. Let me explain.
>
>   Since I use ipfw mac filter, I have the sysctl variable
> "net.link.ether.ipfw: 1";
>
>   My FreeBSD box have the IP 10.0.0.1 and my Windows box 10.0.0.2.
>
>   An example of my rules:
>
>   00001 0 0 allow ip from 10.0.0.2 MAC any 00:13:20:27:80:d6 any
>   00002 0 0 allow ip from any to 10.0.0.2 MAC 00:13:20:27:80:d6 any
>   65535 0 0 allow ip from any to any
>
>  This works fine, the rules 1 and 2 get some match when I do ping from
> Windows box to FreeBSD.
>  After this test, I added the rule "65534 0 0 deny ip from any to any".
>  It still works, but after some time if I have no traffic from 10.0.0.2,
> FreeBSD appear to remove the arp entry for that IP, if I do a "arp -a",
> I get :
>
>  ? (10.0.0.1) at 00:08:54:29:ff:17 on xl0 [ethernet]
>
>  So, I can't ping my FreeBSD box anymore because it doesnt accept my arp
> packets. I tried to log the deny rule and I get some lines telling "Deny
> mac in".
>  I tried to add another rule before the deny all "ipfw add 100 allow mac
> any any", but this rule become "allow ip from any to any MAC any any",
> so I cant end my firewall rules with a "deny all from any to any".
>
>  Is this a problem? Are there any workaround for this?
>  I didnt tried to use a fixed arp table, but I will dont do that if not
> necessary.
>
> Thanks
>
> Cesar

I had a similar problem before when I forgot to permit arp traffic on
layer2, so, I guess "mac-type arp" is not allowed to pass throught your
firewall. You may consider "allow mac-type arp layer2" in your firewall
somewhere or denying everything on L3 only, say "deny log all from any
to any not layer2"

--
Patrick Tracanelli

FreeBSD Brasil LTDA.