Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 10:49:52 -0700
From:      "Robert Wright" <robert@twowrights.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   What does "PID 5 (sh), UID 0: exited on signal 8" mean when booting from a fixit floppy?

I am trying to use the repair floppy generated by the script in section 9.3.8 of
the handbook. I created the mini kernel included in the script as well.

I am running 2.2.7 on a Dell 486P/25 with 16mb of RAM.

Here is what happens when I boot off of the floppy:

Boot: 0:fd(0,a)kernel -s
.
.
.
stuff deleted
.
.
Changing root device to fd0s4c
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: [return]
PID 5 PID 5 (sh), UID 0: exited on signal 8
Sep 6 09:11:33 init: single user shell terminated, restarting
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

When I boot in multi user mode I get a slightly different error.

.
.
.
stuff deleted
.
.
Sep 6 010:19:36 init: login get_class: unknown class `daemon`
Sep 6 010:19:48 init: init /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to
single user mode
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: [return]
PID 5 PID 5 (sh), UID 0: exited on 8
Sep 6 09:30:10 init: single user shell terminated, restarting
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: [return]
PID 5 PID 6 (sh), UID 0: exited on 8

If I boot off the hard disk and mount the floppy I can execute the shell
[/mnt/bin/sh] successfully.

If I install the mini kernal on my hard disk and boot it I get the same errors
as above.

Here is the kernel config I am using:

# MINI -- A kernel to get FreeBSD on onto a disk.
#
machine        "i386"
cpu            "I486_CPU"
ident          MINIB
maxusers       5

options        INET                    # needed for _tcp _icmpstat _ipstat
                                       #            _udpstat _tcpstat _udb
options        FFS                     #Berkeley Fast File System
options        FAT_CURSOR              #block cursor in syscons or pccons
options        SCSI_DELAY=15           #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options        NCONS=2                 #1 virtual consoles
options        USERCONFIG              #Allow user configuration with -c XXX

config         kernel  root on sd0 swap on sd0 and sd1 dumps on sd0

controller     isa0
controller     pci0

controller     fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk           fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
disk           fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
tape           ft0     at fdc0 drive 2

options        ATAPI                   #Enable ATAPI support
options        ATAPI_STATIC            #Don't do it as a LM
device         wfd0                    #IDE floppy (LS120)
device         wft0                    #IDE tape drive

controller     ncr0

controller     scbus0

device         sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
device         npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device         sd0
device         sd1
device         sd2

device         st0

pseudo-device  loop            # required by INET
pseudo-device  gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's
#End kernel config

Any help much appreciated.

Robert Wright