Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 22:10:45 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Tim Peters" <tim@lost.net.au>, "Bryan Cassidy" <bryanc2000@insightbb.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache Help

From: "Tim Peters" <tim@lost.net.au>
To: "Bryan Cassidy" <bryanc2000@insightbb.com>

> On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 04:27:00PM -0600, Bryan Cassidy wrote:
> > Ok here is the deal. I've been "trying" to get apache to work on
my
> > FreeBSD 4.6.2 box. Here is what I was told I should do to install
> > apache/php http://lith.hn.org/apache.php I know it install this
way
> > but want to make sure it is the "correct" way to install
apache/php on
> > freebsd.
>
> There's nothing wrong with the instructions on the page you refer
> to.  A more freebsd-ish solution might be to use the ports:
>
>     # cd /usr/ports/www/mod_php4; make install; apachectl start
>
> The only major difference being that ports will make PHP a loadable
> module instead of compiling it directly into the apache binary.
>
> Then just make sure your domain name points to the right machine.
> It should Just Work(tm).  If not, tell us where it goes wrong (be
> specific).  If your problems are with dyndns.org, I can't help you.

I happened to check on this after seeing the post earlier today.
hisname.dyndys.org is available to nameservice, but a telnet
to port 80 on that IP rang up 'connection refused.'  Without
him telling us his IP, it'll be hard to determine from outside
without more information.....

Brian, you're going to have to give some details as to what
exactly you've done, and what you're seeing
in terms of error messages, whether from the console,
/var/log/messages, or the apache error log, or we're
not gonna be *able* to help....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.