Date:      Tue, 7 May 1996 08:24:15 PDT
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI cds on 2.1?

Well, I ju> On Mon, 6 May 1996, Marty Leisner wrote:

> > I'm about the reinstall 2.1 using ATAPI drives...
> >
> > I read the docs, and it talks about:
> > 	the drivers are alpha
> > 	the atapi drives has to be master (not slave)
> >
> > I'm not sure why I have to specify this... (on linux its just
> > /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, etc).
> >

> If you want to know if the atapi install has a remote possibility of
> working, give it a shot.  In some cases it may be necessary to put -c on
> the Boot: prompt to make sure wdc1 is set properly, but other than that
> it may work.

I wasn't sure what C option, I have
	ide 0 -- 696 mbyte disk, 4x cdrom
	ide 1	-- 1.2gigabyte disk, 6x cdrom
(both cdroms are slaves)

The messages at boot time didn't detect them...

> The easiest install methods in order IMHO:
>
> 1) CDROM (SCSI preferred)
> 2) FTP
> 3) NFS
> 4) Floppies
> 5) DOS

I tried ftp install...it wanted to ftp off an internet site (which means
you have direct connection to the internet...(no gateways).
I just wanted to ftp to another machine...

The other machine is running linux...running nfsd I had to on linux
--allow-non-root (don't fully understand this, this is the linux nfs-server)

Also something on linux which is very convenient is I can just do
export / and get the whole tree, it seems in freebsd I have to export
each file system manually in exportfs...

Also, the install insists on swap space...I made a 1Mbyte swap filesystem
to make it happy (it should be smarter).

It also would be much easier to check options as you go along, instead of
complaining at the commit/extract phase...

I also find the fact you want to install with floppies over
dos is kinda hard to believe ;-)

I just got system commander...it talks about solaris, linux, NT, OS/2 but no
freebsd...any success stories?

> Your order may vary.  :-)

marty
leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Member of the League for Programming Freedom