Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:09:42 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>
To:        Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, jdp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 09:20:54PM +0900, Motoyuki Konno wrote:
> A.  Why 'ja' is better than 'ja.*'
> ----------------------------------

<snip>

Thanks, that's all useful information, and it would've been handy a couple
of months ago.  However. . .

> One reason is that the cost of change is quite large.
> 'ja_JP.EUC' -> 'ja' change was *only* one year ago.  Japanese doc
> team and ports team paid the cost.  We agreed the change because
> it is reasonable (as I explained above).

I'm not moving the *installed* location at all.  Could people please
understand this.

I am moving the location WITHIN THE CVS REPOSITORY.

As other messages from me have explained, there will not be a 1:1 mapping
between locations in the CVS repository and locations in the installation
directory.  One file in the CVS repository will probably end up being
installed (actually, symlinked) to various places in the installation
tree, depending on the value of various variables.

The change is to promote consistency at all levels of the CVS tree so that
the vast majority of the code within the Makefile's can be common, instead
of needing lots of special case handling for all the different languages
and encodings.

Just to make this completely clear;

  1.  After making the change I am proposing, the Japanese documentation
      will *still* install into a .../doc/ja/ directory.

      No change.

  2.  At some point in the future (when it's written, debugged, and
      tested), *all* the docs will install into a variant of
      ensure that this approach allows an admin to be 100% compatible
      with the current mechanism, while affording those admins that want
      it to be more flexible.

      Yes, this is a change, but I guarantee that when this change does
      happen that the default will be to ensure that any symlinks necessary
      for compatability will be retained.  The admin will have to make
      conscious changes to break compatability.

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
--+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--