Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 20:19:29 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/comms/hylafax

Reference:
> From:		"Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Date:		Thu, 05 Jun 1997 19:46:50 -0400
> Message-id:	<533.865554410@orion.webspan.net>

Hi,

Umm, Yes, So ?  I wrote that port in my spare time too :-)

>  Unless Julian is willing to dedicate that
> ammount of time to maintaining the ports, I suggest he stops
> complaining about decisions made.

Nope, I don't want to involve myself in other ports, I just don't want
spurious suprise trashing of a proven port with complex interfaces, till
<hylafax@freebsd.org> agrees by consensus that the new port is proven.

> > Also, while the port was not marked broken, it was indeed broken --
> > the distfile doesn't exist on the master site.  Not to put too fine
> > a point on it, but to me that weakens your claim of authority over
> > the port as its maintainer.
>
> Infact, given that Julian had been asked to upgrade the port at least
> once, and that the PR for the new port sat for so long in GNATS before
> Satoshi did anything, I'm not at all sure what all the fuss is
> about.

I don't read gnats@
I (ex Maintainer) & list <hylafax@freebsd.org> receive no notification
whatever of this suprise upgrade !  No time to test.

> If Julian spent half the time that he has now expended writing
> mails attacking Satoshi on his port, this would never have happened.

I'm sure that'd be true with many a port, (I've done othe ports, I know
what you mean, generally, But Hylafax is different, it wasn't simple to
get a port working, or test thoroughly (Modem variations etc).
If it _had_ been easy any of the many people who posted about V4 on
hylafax@freebsd could have done it, some were invited, none did.

> Instead he chose to decline Satoshi's upgrade requests,

Huh ? Message-IDs please !
I don't recall _him_ requesting that, he wasn't interested, others posted
on <hylafax@freebsd.org>, & I replied, please consult the archives, if
you want to know what those who were interested actually wrote.

> someone else presented us with a solution, he chooses to attack
> instead.

I DO NOT ATTACK THE NEW V4 PORT !  I AM PLEASED TO SEE IT :-)
But the old V3 port should not be overlayed 'till the V4 is proven.
As Satoshi does not care to be on list <hylafax@freebsd.org>
he should not force an uninformed decision on those truly interested

> Not the most productive use of his time, IMHO.

If Satoshi had mailed me something like:
	"Hi Maintainer, I've received a major rewrite to a newer version,
	I propose to overlay your old port."
I'd have cc'd to <hylafax@freebsd.org> & tested it myself too.
BUT I & <hylafax@freebsd.org> received Zero warning.
We need time for run-time success reports to be posted before the V3 port is
deleted, meantime I'm happy to see the new port available too.

> > Finally, no matter what Satoshi does, he doesn't have any way I know
> > of to delete the old port from your 2.2.1 CD.
>
> Or the in-the-works 2.2.2 CD either, since at least one copy has gone
> off to replication already.

Well if a second pressing of the master is done, please put _both_ versions
on. List <hylafax@freebsd.org> will decide when that can reduce to just V4.

> Gary
> --
> Gary Palmer                            Speaking for no-one other than himself
> FreeBSD: Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey       jhs@freebsd.org         http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/