Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 2003 19:20:56 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        edmund jones <edmundj3@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Browser (was No Subject)

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 15:52:44 -0800 (PST), edmund jones <edmundj3@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hello oh great sages,
> Thanks so much for your past help. Of course, I have
> another quetion. I've got X up and run Kdesk - coool.
> However, the browser -I haven't configured - debating
> on netscape. That brings me to install or not?
> The bsd ports site mentions that mozilla is
> comparatively large and that bsd\netscape 4.x has a
> security hole and the modules for linux.7x may be
> numerous, NOT TO MENTION TAKING ANY SUBSEQUENT
> OVERLAYS IT MIGHT PRODUCE. So I thought I'd ask what
> you think? I use bsd to emerse myself in a mixed
> network and will ultimately use it as a backend
> router/dns/mail server. Browsing would just be cool. I
> guess what as a novice Iam asking is could I risk
> netscape 4.x (would it compile and install for the
> CDROM or do I risk linux? Nothing earthshaking.
> Thanks. Oh, Do you think I should submit my config for
> the XServer using IMB and a Micron monitor?

Mozilla-devel from ports installed for me without incident.  I also note
there are nightly builds (binaries) available for FreeBSD "4.7" (which
presumably includes 4.8-prerelease) at Mozilla's ftp site.  I imagine
whatever's good in NS will show up much sooner in Moz.  Phoenix (also in
ports) has a reputation as a more lightweight version of Moz, preferable to
some people whose opinions I respect.

All that having been said, I am a long time Opera user and vastly prefer it
to IE, NS, or Moz (which I installed on FreeBSD mainly to compare with
Opera).  If you have Linux emulation working, you can download and install
the Linux version from Opera Software.  I'm trying the Opera 7 Preview, and
while it's lacking some features of the Windows final version, it's still
very nice.  Better user interface and fonts than Moz.  Its mail and
newsreader, M2, outperforms Sylpheed on my system in speed of fetching IMAP
mail, though Sylpheed's UI is more mature and complete at this point.

Jud