Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 22:40:35 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "David Lloyd" <lloy0076@adam.com.au>, "Mike Thompson" <mike@atomz.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SAP DB on FreeBSD

> Mike,
>
> > I would assume that SAP DB would work as well under Linux emulation,
> > but it would be cool if a native FreeBSD port effort was underway.
> > However, with 6000+ source files it sounds like a monster to port.
>
> The Handbook from 4.6 says that it runs under Linux; I've never tried it
> but it's under the section called "The Cutting Edge". I would assume
> that 4.7 hasn't broken it.
>
> My question would be, if it runs as (or almost as efficiently) under
> Linux emulation then why port such a huge project [apart from the
> obvious reason "because we can"]?

There really isn't any reason, unless we feel we can make it perfom better
in native FreeBSD mode than Linux mode.

However, getting to this point may well be an exercise in futility.  A long
time ago (when it was first announced, IIRC) I spent a fair bit amount of
time bending my head around the excessively Linux-centric SAPDB code
(everything from pathnames to #includes) and just gave up, because it was
much easier to just "give up" and run it under the Linuxulator.

Furthermore, a FreeBSD-native port is only really useful if SAP is willing
to adopt the patches and our feedback, which I doubt, since that implies
some form of support.

--
Matt Emmerton