Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:04:46 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@freebsd.org>, Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, Noel Koethe <noel@koethe.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error with make buildkernel 4.1-RC -> 4.1-release

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 11:49:47PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:

> Ben Smithurst wrote:
> >
> > Kent Stewart wrote:
> >
> > > About half of the time I run cvsup in the gui mode so that I can save
> > > the log to disk.
> >
> > you can save the log to disk much easier in non-GUI mode, by the way.
> >
> > # cvsup -g -L2 supfile 2>&1 | tee cvsup.log
>
> That is true. I hadn't even thought about doing it that way. Then, I
> make a slight command and end up with a couple of ways of handling it.
> I think one of the advantages of the GUI, it might be the only
> advantage, is that it lets you scroll through them first. I can use
> more to do that using the tee but cvsup has a nice scrollbar in the
> GUI mode.

Hmm, are you aware of some useful utilities hidden away in the contrib
directory of the cvsup-bin tarball (that don't get installed by the
port)?

My favourite is cvsup2html which makes all the "Edit" and "Checkout"
lines into links to the CVS repo on freefall?

      # cvsup2html < /usr/sup/cvsup.log > /usr/sup/cvsup.html

cvsupchk is also useful; found loads of redundant files in my tree.

From the README:

      This directory contains various utilities contributed by CVSup
      users. Please contact the individual authors of the utilities if
      you find bugs or have questions about them.

      cvsup2html
	Convert cvsup client log output into a web page, with each
	filename serving as a link to the cvsweb page for that file.

      cvsup2httplog
        Convert a cvsupd log file to standard httpd log file format,
	so that it can be analyzed by tools such as webalizer.

      cvsupchk
	Check for extraneous files in a tree maintained by CVSup.

      cvsupwho
	Show who is currently using your CVSup server.

> I also happen to like to do things like this in the command line mode.
> It looks like I will have a script that saves from the command line
> and one to fire it off in the GUI mode.
>
> BTW, I like the mergemaster addition to 18.4.7. I saw the commit and
> immediately updated the handbook on all three of the systems I use
> FreeBSD on.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kent
>

> > --