Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2008 08:55:22 -0800
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
To:        freebsd general questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Disk Errors

I am working on installing 6.4-RELEASE on a Motorola CPN5360 which is an
industrial CompactPCI computer.  The system boots via PXE.  That much is
good.  The host has two storage devices.

This is a 16MB boot flash device that is soldered to the board.

ad0: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
error=4<
ABORTED>
ad0: 15MB <SunDisk SDTB-128 vcb 1.45> at ata0-master BIOSPIO

This is a standard compact flash from Kingston. Many repetitive errors
are snipped here.

ad2: 1923MB <CF CARD 2GB Ver2.19K> at ata1-master UDMA33
ad2: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out LBA=3940269
ad2: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out LBA=3940209
ad2: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (0 retries left) LBA=0
ad2: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out LBA=0
ad2: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=1
ad2: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (0 retries left) LBA=1

The flash drive is detected with 3940272 sectors.  Is there a way to
control the LBA= parameter?  Does it matter if I try?

How can I control the number of retries?

I read that FreeBSD doesn't use the BIOS at least for CHS.  Does FreeBSD
use the BIOS for PIO and UDMA modes?

Any thoughts on how to get these storage devices working?

Thanks,
Jason