Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 16:08:15 -0600
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Nick Popoff <mouse@bloodletting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & Apple

Nick Popoff wrote:

> I've been hearing very interesting rumors from a friend of mine who
> went to Apple's WWDC conference last week.  According to him, Apple
> is moving away from the mishmash of Unix sources they were using to
> build their next generation OS in favor of using FreeBSD for everything.
> He also heard that they were working on some cool new kernel features
> to make things more dynamic, which they intend to give back to the project.
>
> Has anyone else heard things to this effect?

Yes. Fred Sanchez just publicly (at that conference) Apple's Darwin
kernel to the FreeBSD source tree. He has been working with me off the
list on getting a group press announcement out. He's also going to
publicly acknowledge the Open Source benefits at FreeNIX next month.

He's been very open about the BSD connection and there's a web page
acknowledgement of their BSD heritage already. He hasn't said they're
dropping the NetBSD or MACH connections, though, quite the contrary.
--
Don Wilde                 "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media