Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 17:48:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "James E. Pace" <jepace@pobox.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pcm sound device stopped working

I have a soundblaster live installed in my system:
pcm1: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0x1060-0x107f irq 11 at device 13.0 on pci0

Last week, I was able to play MP3s and CDs with no problems
(4.x-STABLE from a few weeks back).

On Friday (10/6) I updated to 4.1.1-STABLE.

I can still play CDs with xmcd, but now when I used mpg123 (which I
have reinstalled, including all the dependencies), I saw:

$ mpg123 some_song.mp3
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
[...]

I noticed that sys/dev/sound/pci/emu10k1.c was updated on Sunday, so I
rebuilt the kernel with source downloaded early this morning.

Now, when I play MP3's it appears they play BACKWARDS! GQmpeg counts
down (quickly) and the music is all hosed.

What's up?

Thanks,

-James Pace

This letter brought to you by: *************************************