Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 11:00:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org (freebsd-current)
Subject:   Prob w/make world & libc!  Pls help.

Since about June 3rd I have not been able to do a make world on my
-current systems.  They get as far as installation of a new
libc.so.3.0 then every thing falls apart.  Most commands then fail
with signal 11's.  I have to reinstall the old versions of the
libraries to get the system back to a working state.  Has there
been some change that breaks compatibility between -current as of
6/1 and 6/3?  I have scanned the freebsd mailing lists but could
find nothing mentioned.  This has happened on two of my systems (I
know, I'm a glutton for punishment :-().  Here is how my "make -k
world" fails:

===> libc
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444   libc.a /usr/lib
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444   -fschg  libc.so.3.0  /usr/lib
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444   libc_pic.a /usr/lib
*** Signal 11 (continuing)
`install' not remade because of errors.
===> libcompat
Memory fault - core dumped

At this point the entire system is hosed.  I have to reboot into
single-user mode and restore the libraries to get it to work again.

Please help...what am I missing?

Thanks,
--
Bob Willcox