Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:42:07 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        nsayer@kfu.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Colaberation invited -- ports/net/mpd-netgraph + pppoe

Brian Somers wrote:

> If you want to test your results, I'd suggest using pppoed... if you
> can talk to yourself and to ppp(8) then you've probably got it right.
>
> FWIW, my eventual aim is to bring more netgraph stuff into ppp(8)....
Nick,
Everything you need to do should be found in
the pppoe file in the ppp sources (was it called 'ether.c')

basically the code in the ng_pppoe man page example
should still be basically correct.
(I'll have to check if it's out of date.)
(looks pretty correct)
One additional bit.
you can now send a message to the socket node to tell it to close down
when the last connection is removed from it.
this allows the ppp program to detect that the session has been
terminated. and you can close the control socket
as soon as the session is established.

to do all this IN the kernel, you don't need the socket node,
but rather, can connect the pppoe node directly to the ppp node.

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org