Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:09:20 -0500
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        Peter <sleepy_nuggets@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: psmintr: out of sync (known solutions don't work)

Peter wrote:
> [4.5 Stable]
> With both an Intellimouse ps2 and an old ibm ps2 I get
> the psmintr out of sync (00c01 ! = 0000) error.
>
> I tried with the NOCHECKSYNC flag in moused and place
> the following in my kernel:
> options         PSM_HOOKRESUME
> options         PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND
>
> but the problem remains.

aparrently you didn't search the archives as this has been asked and
answered more than a couple of times.  from man psm...

bit 8 NOCHECKSYNC
     The psm driver tries to detect the first byte of the data packet
     by checking the bit pattern of that byte.  Although this method
     should work with most PS/2 pointing devices, it may interfere with
     some devices which are not so compatible with known devices.  If
     you think your pointing device is not functioning as expected, and
     the kernel frequently prints the following message to the console,

           psmintr: out of sync (xxxx != yyyy).

     set this flag to disable synchronization check and see if it
     helps.

I don't know what you're trying to do with those other psm options,
but to fix the problem make your psm line look like this...

device             psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12 flags 0x100

...then compile/install a new kernel and all should be well.

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                    Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

         - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.