Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:20:32 -0800
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.COM>
To:        richardc@csua.berkeley.edu, shovey@buffnet.net
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

Steve <shovey@buffnet.net> writes:

> Go with the cisco!  There is something just a bit off with
> freebsd's tcp/ip.  I have a subgroup of users who get stalls,
> if my freebsd's are not the other side of my cisco from them.
> For instance, if they were to pull headers from a new server
> on the same subnet, the news server being freebsd, it would
> stop.. Same with web pages.

I find this annoying.  I'm sure you were having problems, and that
interposing a Cisco between your users and your FreeBSD servers
made the problem go away; but realize that "something [being]
just a bit off with FreeBSD's tcp/ip" is not the only, nor indeed
the most likely, explanation of the things you observed.

Did you make any effort to investigate the problem (e.g., packet
traces)?  Did you report the problem?  Or did you just try
something (interposing the Cisco) and find that the problem went
away?  If so, fair enough; everybody's busy.  But then you can't
draw conclusions about what was wrong in the first place.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.