Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to go about making a compiler port

In article <kqpuzlohw5.fsf@zabagek.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>,
Thomas Gellekum  <tg@ihf.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> lang/modula-3-lib is the "source" port for modula-3, this probably
> comes closer to your wishes.

Modula-3 bootstrapping is done with a set of "*.s" (assembly language
source) files generated on another machine.  The *.s files are
assembled and linked on the target host, yielding a native compiler
that can be used to build the rest of the stuff.

Bootstrapping with assembly language sources seems weird at first,
but it has some advantages.  The *.s files are generated using a
cross-compiler, so they can be made on any host (even a different
architecture) that already has Modula-3 working on it.  You only
need a cross-compiler, not a cross-assembler or cross-linker.  Minor
library incompatibilities don't cause problems, because the linking
takes place on the target host.  It works pretty well in practice.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron