Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 10:45:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@phaeton.artisoft.com>
To:        owensc@enc.edu (Charles Owens)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: QUOTAS...

> Regarding what you said about the 'userquota' option, I was under the
> impression that quotas weren't turned on at mount-time, but only when the
> 'quotaon' command is invoked.  Am I wrong?

You had the 'userquota' without and '=' (ie: the correct usage is not
',userquota,' but ',userquota=/usr/quotas/usr.user,'.

> Are you suggesting that it is safer if, instead of using the 'userquota'
> option and 'quotaon', we write a small program that turns quotas on using the
> quotactl(2) routine?

If you look at the fstab man page, you'll see that the default is to place
them at the root of the associated file system (my suggestion to you).
I don't know *what* a blank option does, except perhaps confuse quotacheck(8)
and quotaon(8).

Use the quotactl(2) interface if you aren't going to use 'userquota' the
way it is documented.  Do *NOT* use the example in the fstab man page as
a working example of relocating a quota file to /var (it should work,
but is subject to the locking issues I reported).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.