Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 1996 21:38:13 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com
Cc:        dfr@render.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1 panic: panic: nfsreq nogrps

>David Greenman wrote in message ID
><199601030518.VAA00184@corbin.Root.COM>:
>> >I just got a panic dump on one of our internal servers:
>
>> >panic: nfsreq nogrps
>
>>    I've already fixed this. It's caused by a setgroups(0,foo) in some program
>> running with uid=0. The most noteable of these is Smail, but I'm sure there
>> are others. If you update the server to 2.1-STABLE, the problem should go
>> away.
>
>The kernel was compiled on Dec 19th (sorry, should have had that info

   This is the log info:

---
revision 1.11.4.2
date: 1995/11/19 01:52:43;  author: davidg;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -2
>From rev 1.14:
Disallow setgroups() with ngroups=0. There should always be one group (the
effective gid). This works around a panic ("nfsreq nogrps") that occurs
with NFS clients. This change is too late for 2.1-release.

Obtained from:  4.4BSD-Lite2
---

>in the origional mail), and I was just looking at the program which
>was running at the time, and it does nothing more complicated than

   The setgroups() can happen at any time and doesn't in itself cause a panic.
The panic message "nfsreq nogrps" indicates that an I/O operation is being
attempted on behalf of a process that has no groups in it's group list. This
isn't a valid state as group[0] is always the effective gid. If the process
didn't get this way because of setgroups(), then it's happening somewhere
else in the kernel. I suppose one work-around kludge might be to substitute
the "nobody" group (-2) for processes that otherwise belong to no groups.

-DG