Date:      17 Dec 1996 13:26:16 -0800
From:      jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Correction: src-release and src-tools will REMAIN

In article <199612160453.UAA01018@austin.polstra.com>,
John Polstra  <jdp@polstra.com>, to his regret, wrote:

> If you have been CVSup/supping "src-release" or "src-tools", please
> change your supfile and get "src-etc" instead.  I am going to delete the
> two obsolete collections within a few days.

False alarm -- this is not happening after all.  I had asked about
it on core a few days before, but I guess I didn't wait long enough
for somebody to object.

The "src-release" and "src-tools" collections are going to remain
distinct from "src-etc".  I am going to eliminate the overlap that
currently exists between src-etc and the other two, by modifying
what is included in src-etc.  That is going to happen on freefall
this coming Saturday, December 21.

There is going to be a hiccup when this happens.  When sup and
CVSup notice the change to src-etc, they will proceed to delete
the affected files on the client machines.  Most people won't care
about that.  Neither src-release nor src-tools is really a part
of the system.  If you want to continue to get them anyway, you'll
have to add those collections to your supfile.

Here's the nasty part:  If you have src-etc AND the other two in
your supfile, the files are going to be deleted (in connection with
src-etc) and then sent to you again (as part of src-release and
src-tools).  Sorry, that's just the way things work under the sup
model.  It doesn't recognize relationships between files in different
collections.

With CVSup at least (and I think with sup too), you can avoid having the
files retransmitted to you as follows:

    1. Before Saturday: Copy the "src/release" and "src/tools" trees
       to a backup area.

    2. After Saturday: Do a CVSup run of only the src-etc collection.
       It will delete the files in src/release and src/tools.

    3. Copy the files back into place from the backup area.

    4. Get on with your life.

Thanks for your patience.