Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 12:02:47 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@hub.freebsd.org, george@cia-g.com, steve@FreeBSD.ORG, steve@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/2270

>Synopsis: Hayes ESP serial card locks system as of 12/01 kernel.
>
>State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
>State-Changed-By: steve
>State-Changed-When: Sun May 31 12:15:34 PDT 1998
>State-Changed-Why:
>My mail ping was greeted with a "who are you?", so I think
>it's safe to assume that either this problem has been fixed
>or the originator no longer uses FreeBSD. :)

However, it is not safe to say that the disappearance of the
originator is grounds for closing a PR.  Bugs don't go away
when their originator does, except for hardware bugs for
hardware with one user.

The status of the fixes for the bug is:
- half-baked workaround for the bug in -current.  The workaround
  slightly breaks flushing of output on ESP ports.  Users should
  configure option COM_ESP if they have any ESP ports even if
  they don't really want to use the ports in ESP mode.
- quarter-baked workaround for the bug in -stable.  The workaround
  slightly breaks flushing of output on all 16550 ports.  There is
  no need to configure COM_ESP to get the workaround.

Bruce