Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 17:57:02 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        lanehol@bellsouth.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does "delete" really mean?

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 10:55:36PM -0600, lanehol@bellsouth.net wrote:
> I keep running into the following error while running make on
> FreeBSD-CURRENT
> ===> gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl
> Extracting config.h (with variable substitutions)
> Extracting cflags (with variable substitutions)
> Extracting writemain (with variable substitutions)
> Extracting myconfig (with variable substitutions)
> miniperl: no such file or directory
>
> *** Error 1
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl
>
> I know that /usr/src/UPDATING recommends that I delete /usr/bin/miniperl,
> but just deleting it doesn't seem to make the problem go away.  Besides this
> is /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl, not the recommended directory.

It should be trying to use /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin/miniperl at
this point in the buildworld. Does that file exist?

I believe miniperl is just a bootstrapper of sorts for building the
full-blown perl. There is no need for it to be kept after a build.

> I just updated with cvsup, so I can't figure why I am (apparently) behind.

Maybe you didn't get a full CVSup or didn't get the version you think
you did (a common problem). What's in your supfile?

> So for my question(s)@FreeBSD:
>
> Is my error related to the mention in UPDATING to delete /usr/bin/miniperl?
> And if so, what does "delete" really mean in this context?

The error may be related, but only if you are not building the version
of FreeBSD you think you are. "Delete" really means,

  # rm /usr/bin/miniperl

> If there is no relation between my problem and the mention in UPDATING then
> what (slow, painful, edumacational) steps should I take to rectify my
> problem?

We need to figure out what is wrong before we start worrying about
that.