Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 03:45:13 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        freebsdathome@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld resets system

freebsdathome@yahoo.com wrote:

> [...]
> > > to compile a new kernel. I've read the handbook
> > > sections for compiling a new kernel. At first I
> > read
> > > the handbook that came with the install and the
> > entry
> > > for compiling and installing a new kernel I
> > thought
> > > said go the make buildkernel, make installkernel
> > route
> > > for 4.0 and up period. I tried that and make
> > > buildkernel failed with errors. I also tried the
> > > GENERIC kernel just to make sure it wasn't
> > MYKERNEL
> > > even after getting a diff and checking for typos.
> > > read more and thought that was for upgrading only
> > and
> > > tried the config, compile, make depend, make, make
> > > install process. The compile failed. I read some
> > more
> > > and found make buildworld to be done before doing
> > the
> > > make buildkernel, make installkernel. So, I tried
> > > make buildworld. That caused the system to reboot
> > > about an hour into the build. I've read README,
> > > UPDATING, and the Makefile in /usr/src, the
> > handbook,
> > > and the faq. I'm sure I'm missing something as the
> > > handbook on my system is an older version than the
> > > version on the web site. I've searched the
> > mailling
> > > lists also but still I'm missing something
> > somewhere.
> > > So, whats causing my makes and build to fail or
> > reboot
> > > my system? Any ideas?
> >
> > I am assuming you are running csh where you would do
> > something like
> >
> > make buildworld >& bworld.log
> >
> > If your system panics, you will probably see some
> > sort of signal
> > error, which is usually hardware related, i.e.,
> > memory or cooling.
> >
> > The first rule on 4.x is following Warner's
> > suggestions in
> > /usr/src/UPDATING. He has a section on updating to
> > 4.x-stable. It may
> > not work everytime but you have a lot better chance
> > than some of these
> > documents written for earlier versions. When it
> > comes to the kernel,
> > you are supposed to copy GENERIC to some name and
> > then edit it to
> > build a system your way. MYKERNEL has to exist
> > before you start. I
> > have a script that I run that does a cvsup and then
> > follows the
> > buildworld, build[install]kernel, installworld, and
> > mergemaster
> > sequence. It has served me well.
> >
> > I read where they may add "device pcm" to GENERIC,
> > which will let you
> > have sound on your first install of 4.2.
> >
> > Kent
> >

> Well, I haven't tried getting a log and checking it
> yet.
>
> I was worried that it probably was hardware related,
> but hoped it was user error since I'm broke.

What kind of cpu do you have? Some of the older AMD's are sensitive to
cooling and a thin layer of heatsink goo helps. You could have a fan
going out. There are a lot more answer's than questions :).

I haven't had a problem building a system for several days. I have one
machine I update on the odd days and another that I update on the even
days. I haven't had any problems since 30-31 Oct.

> I'm confused about the UPDATING file and most of the
> commentary or documentation referring to it. Isn't
> that assuming that one is actually upgrading from a
> previous version? I installed this version from
> scratch. Does it apply to my situation?

Up to a point. There is a section on upgrading from 4.x to 4.x-stable
(about line 192) and that applies if you are cvsup'ing to update your
source. If you installed the sources, then you don't need to do a
build[install]world. You can build a kernel using the good old
fashioned config MYKERNEL ... make install. However, most people
following stable have done a cvsup and the build[install]kernel rule
applies.

FWIW, I have a shell script that does a cvsup. Then I use a script
written by Nik Clayton that  converts my cvsup.log to html. Then, my
script does a buildworld, build[install]kernel, and installworld. It
takes about 1:45 to finish. I have 3 systems that I play with and none
of them have to be booted to single user mode to do the installworld.
When I finish, I have a log of the output from each step. I can point
you to a copy of the latest run and say it isn't failing. If it does,
I can also point to where it is failing. A buildworld runs about 5-6MB
and isn't something most people would want to view :). The script
helps because I don't make typo's and wonder what happened.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA