Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2014 08:26:12 -0500
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with FreeBSD 10.0 and pecl-APC

Frank Leonhardt wrote:

> There's clearly a problem with pecl-APC and PHP 5.5:
>
> -------------------
> taging for mediawiki120-1.20.8
> ===>   mediawiki120-1.20.8 depends on file:
> /usr/local/lib/php/20121212/apc.so - not found
> ===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/lib/php/20121212/apc.so in
> /usr/ports/www/pecl-APC
> ===>  pecl-APC-3.1.14_1 cannot be installed: doesn't work with
> lang/php55 port (doesn't support PHP 5.5).
> ------------------
>
> I've looked at the code, but I'm not a script language programmer and
> this whole script language thing is way too complicated for me to figure
> out (give me C and an assembler any day). The pecl module won't compile
> because it reckons there are union members being referenced which don't
> exist in the union. It's clearly not going to play so I'm looking for a
> work-around. I have no interest in one version of PHP over another, as
> long as it works.
>
> If anyone can explain the full story I'd appreciate it. Should I be
> using the php5 port (which is 5.4) because 5.5 is wonky? Or what?
[snip]

Well, I'm actually still using PHP53 as I haven't yet freed up the time to
play (knowing full well I should be running something newer). I did just a
'make' to see if it compiled on a 10-Release box here and it built straight
away. Stopped short of 'make install' as I use Xcache here. Took a look at
the Makefile and it is indeed showing a:  IGNORE_WITH_PHP=55.

Did want to let you know that the latest ports tree update I just did this
morning has a new entry 20140211 concerning new DEFAULT_VERSIONS syntax for
/etc/make.conf - see /usr/ports/UPDATING for details. This is is what I now
have in make.conf:

 DEFAULT_VERSIONS=php=5.3 mysql=5.6 apache=2.2

I went through a problem like this back when it was PHP 5.4, so (in a hurry
to make things Just Work) I deinstalled the 5.4 and went back to 5.3. In
lieu of not knowing when APC might work again with 5.5 you may want to
consider 5.4. Eventually APC will more than likely get fixed to work with
5.5, but it's a matter of whenever at some undefined point in the future
that may happen.

-Mike