Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:34:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Johnson <ioann_j@yahoo.com>
To:        Dan O'Connor <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>, Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Accessing FreeBSD Gateway from Another FreeBSD Machine

I am unable to ping the FreeBSD client from the
Windows machine, and I cannot ping it from the Windows
machine, either.

Basic networking question: do I need straight or
crossover cabling? When I ping from the FBSD client, I
show activity of both the client NIC and at the hub
(for the client's connection only), but nowhere else.
When I ping from the FBSD gateway, I see activity on
the gateway NIC and at the hub for both gateway and
client. Cabling and card work just fine when connected
directly to the DSL router, though...

John