Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 96 16:52:07 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua (Andrew V. Stesin)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (Hackers; FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: Problem with new drive (Connor CFP1060S 1.05GD 243F)

>: Marc G. Fournier stands accused of saying:
>:>
>:> When I tried to install, it newfs'd 3 partitions, then got the above error
>:> on the 4th (you could hear the drive powerdown) and then when it went to
>:> the 5th, you could hear it power up again, and it newfs'd it and the 6th
>:> properly again.
>
>: Aiee!  Unless you have a faulty power connector, _send_it_back_ right now.
>: If it's spinning down the drive is sure it has a _serious_ problem.
>
> 	I STRONGLY second this. We had this same drive model died recently.
> 	Two last days before final death it was stinking with the
> 	messages "not ready" to the console...

I've missed the beginning of this story, but can't spinning down also
mean that the drive is overheating?  I recently bought a Maxtor 1.2 GB
EIDE drive (which installed with *no* problems), and it started doing
this.  I had it in a drawer between two 5 1/4" drives (tape, floppy),
and I found it was running really hot, almost too hot to touch.  I
removed it from the drawer and put it where it got enough air flow,
with the result that it now runs barely warm, and it hasn't spun down
yet.  Comments?

Greg