Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:31:47 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot-block keyboard probe

[Excessive CC list trimmed, discussion moved to -current.]

<<On Wed, 25 Sep 1996 14:38:42 +1000, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> said:

> I think the keyboard controller always responds with KB_RESEND (0xFE)
> after a timeout.  The probe thinks that this is from the keyboard and
> returns "Found".  Thus the probe only works if its own timeout is too
> short.  It worked better in rev.1.1 where not-Found was returned if
> KB_RESEND was received.  Apparently there were problems with attached
> keyboards also returning KB_RESEND.

We applied the following patch to ship a version with working serial
console support:

diff -c -r1.1.1.1 -r1.2
*** probe_keyboard.c    1996/05/31 19:19:34     1.1.1.1
--- probe_keyboard.c    1996/06/03 17:24:08     1.2
***************
*** 85,96 ****
        printf("gotres\n");
  #endif
        if (!retries) {
-               if (val == KB_RESEND) {
- #ifdef DEBUG
-                       printf("gave up\n");
- #endif
-                       return(0);
                return(1);
        }
  gotack:

We haven't seen this fail yet.

Life would be much easier with a decent keyboard design.  Perhaps
we'll be seeing USB keyboards soon...

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick