Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 1996 17:27:15 +0000 ()
From:      Sociedade Brasileira de Quimica/Admin <sbqadm@sbq.org.br>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI Question

Hello
	We have 4 servers and I'm having a little problem installing
2.1.0 in some of them:

server 1) P100 with 2 (1G/850M) IDE drives, installed without any problems

server 2) P100 wiht on board NCR SCSI adaptor, installed without problems
but after reboot the message "Missing Operating System". Back to the
boot.flp and forcing (W)rite in fdisk made it work

server 3) P90 IBM with Adaptec 2942/W and IBM 1G HD, after some fight
against the geometry installed fine but, again "Missing Operating System"
and I have found no way to make it boot from the HD. I need to use
the floppy and boot sd(0,a)/kernel instead

server 4) The worst case :-(, this is an old DEC 486Dx/33 server with an
Adaptec 1742 controller and two (450M sd0, 1.1G sd1) hard disks.
This computer is running FreeBSD since 1.0 and I never had problems
installing FreeBSD on it, yesterday I upgraded it from 2.0-pre-2.0.5-snap
to 2.1.0 and I got the evil "Missing Operating System" again!
I've tried all ways to make it bootable but as server (3) I need to
boot using the floppy.

What am I doing wrong? We have many IDE FreeBSD PCs here running 2.0.5
and 2.1.0 and I've followed the same installprocedure in all cases, is there
any trick I'm missing to make this work ? Is there any way to correct
this? Has anything subtle changed ?

We can't stop the server (4) and it is running this way, I would
like very much to correct the problem without reinstalling it.

Romeu