Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:15:48 +0200
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke@gwdg.de>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: package distribution crisis - CDN needed

--=-qF1+FDhiuoVWGcf7/PI/

Eberhard Moenkeberg p=ED=B9e v =FAt 08. 04. 2008 v 01:54 +0200:

> > > I do propose a creation of a CDN (Content Delivery Network), having t=
hese
> > > features:
> >=20
> > The success of a CDN is premised on the working set of active files bei=
ng
> > [significantly] smaller than the set of available files.  While I don't=
 doubt
> > that only a few packages are of interest to most users, for a CDN to pr=
ovide a
> > real benefit it needs to be the case that no users require most files. =
 The
> > reason being that, if you have to transfer all or even most files every=
 time,
> > a CDN may well be a significantly less efficient way to do it than rsyn=
c. Has
> > a working set analysis for our main mirrors been done that demonstrates=
 that
> > the actual working set is sufficiently smaller than the total set that =
a CDN
> > would be more, rather than less, efficient?

I don't have these statistics, but I'd like to see them very much.
Can I ask some of the mirror admins to compile me statistics on
downloads of files from /pub/FreeBSD/ports/*packages*, say for March
2008 ?

I'd also like to have these numbers from ftp.FreeBSD.org so I have a
comparision of volume.

My suspicion is that 99% of users get their packages from
ftp.FreeBSD.org, because that's what pkg_add -r uses without PACKAGEROOT
specification.

> Maybe it is interesting for you to have a look at=20
>=20
> http://www.poeml.de/~poeml/talks/redirector/
>=20
> The SUSE team has a redirection mechanism at work on single file basis,=20
> and they also have experienced that it would be "enough" for the users if=
=20
> there are lots of mirrors with the "most requested" files plus some=20
> mirrors with all files.

Now this looks so much better and easier than my CDN idea! We could use
it practically as-is.

We will need to patch pkg_install to use http://redirector.FreeBSD.org/
instead of ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

Logitech is infamous for providing 30 MB compressed driver software
packages that install a bunch of crap applications on the system and
round up the number of icons in the tray to the nearest power of two.
  -- Michael Stromberg

--=-qF1+FDhiuoVWGcf7/PI/
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_podepsan=E1?= =?UTF-8?Q?_=C4=8D=C3=A1st?=
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_zpr=E1vy?=

--=-qF1+FDhiuoVWGcf7/PI/--