Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:28:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        "Geoffrey T. Falk" <gtf@cirp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting 1.3.1 to compile

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:42:27AM -0600, Geoffrey T. Falk wrote:
> OK, I finally got it to compile. It was relatively a pain.

I installed it today from ports (don't usually do this obviously) and
I can't agree with your comments.

> Here's all of what I had to do. I hope this experience benefits someone
> else, because it *won't* work out of the box!:
>
> 0) Download the Linux 1.3.0 binaries and install into
> /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.0 as a bootstrap dist.

This is the only problem I had.  If you haven't got linux-jdk13 installed
the build doesn't stop, it simply prints the message about where to get
the distribution from and continues on.  This needs to be fixed.  Also,
its easier to install the Linux JDK with the linux-jdk13 port, rather
than installing it yourself...

> 1) Extract the j2sdk-1_3_1-src.tar.gz that I downloaded from Sun.
>
> 2) Track down all the LongLinks and truncated filenames (because Sun
> probably used their stupid legacy "tar" utility from Solaris to generate
> the tarball, which can't handle long filenames) and restore them to
> their proper locations. Attached is a script that will do this for you.
>
> 3) Tar up the resulting directory using gtar, and put it in the
> distfiles directory, replacing the file "j2sdk-1_3_1-src.tar.gz".
> Compute the new md5 hash, and install this hash in the file
> /usr/ports/java/jdk13/distinfo so that it won't complain.

This isn't the case.  All you need to do is to extract with gtar, which
the port is set up to do.  pax(1) can also do the job.

> 4) Update JDK_PATCHSET_VERSION in the Makefile to version 5 (since I
> started with patchlevel 4). Put the patch file
> (bsd-jdk131-patches-5.tar.gz) into /usr/ports/distfiles, and update the
> md5 hash for this file as well.
>
> 5) remove the patches under /usr/ports/java/jdk13/files, since these
> were relative to patchlevel 4 and had already been incorporated into the
> patchlevel 5.

CVSup would have solved these two for you :).

> 6) Set environment variables according to the instructions in the BUILD
> file in the patchlevel 5.

No, they are for building it separate to the ports tree.

> 7) setenv JDK13DIR /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.0
>    setenv PORTDIR /usr/ports

You wouldn't have needed to set JDK13DIR if you had used the linux-jdk13
port to install the Linux JDK.

> 8) make; make install
>
> After a lot of frustration, I was able to figure out what to do. It
> would really help a lot of people if this all was taken care of
> automatically...

While I appreciate you had difficulties, the port does take care of
most of this automatically, with the one exception I noted above.

This is not to say the port is perfect, its not.  I don't agree that
its as broken as you say though.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887