Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 23:36:53 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
To:        nclayton@lehman.com, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: doc/<lang>/books/*, doc/<lang>/articles/*, and docs.freebsd.org

On 1999-05-10 10:46:05 +0100, nclayton@lehman.com wrote:
> Bits of the FreeBSD site can then become

>     be viewed on-line, or downloaded in a wide variety of Unix, Windows,
>     and Macintosh friendly formats.</p>
>
> > > Of course, this does bring up some issues.  Two immediately spring to
> > > mind.
> > >
> > > The first is mirroring -- we already have many mirror sites who mirror
> > > www.freebsd.org around the world.  Would they be prepared to mirror
> > > docs.freebsd.org as well?  The only way to find out is to ask, which is
> > > part of the reason for this message.
> >
> > Our documentation is tiny, compared with docs.sun.com
> > I see now reason why we should move the handbook from
> > www.freebsd.org to docs.freebsd.org
>
> Our documentation is currently small.  FreeBSD's growing, the available
> documentation is going to grow.  I'd rather put in place a scaleable
> infrastructure to support it now, while the disturbance is still
> relatively small.

The current english web pages are 14MB big and the translated
pages are 24MB big, together 38MB. I guess the documentation
will not grown with more than 20MB/year. So we will reach
the 100MB limit in year 2003 ;-) Still small for a web server.

I think the web server (and web mirrors) should contain all
informations which you need to install FreeBSD - thats the FAQ
and most parts of the handbook.

docs.freebsd.org is a server for special interest documentation
(man pages, info pages etc.) or documents from past releases.

--
Wolfram Schneider <wosch@freebsd.org> http://wolfram.schneider.org