Date:      16 Mar 2000 02:57:25 -0000
From:      "Alan Clegg" <abc@bsdi.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Denis DeLaRoca <denis@acacia.cts.ucla.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, abc@ecto.greenpeas.org
Subject:   Re: libc.so.4 for 3.4-STABLE

> > All I did was do a network upgrade to the 3.4-20000311-STABLE snapshot...
> > from what you are saying the X11 3.3.6 binaries included in the snapshot
> > was built perhaps under FBSD 4.x? I was trying to avoid compiling by
> > upgrading via the snapshot.

With a current (today) cvsup, I'm getting the same thing:

--SNIP--
install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 444     libcom_err.so.2 /usr/lib
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.4" not found
*** Error code 70

Stop.
*** Error code 1
--SNIP--

I'll be debugging this, but this is not a "gee, you did something stupid"
type error.

This upgrade was from a clean 3.3 install (fresh from the CD) and from a
source tree built on another system (my 4.0-STABLE system that compiles
and installs just fine).  One note is that the source tree (/usr/src,
and /usr/obj) are NFS mounted.

AlanC