Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 16:28:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brett L. Hawn" <blh@nol.net>
To:        "Charles C. Figueiredo" <marxx@apocalypse.superlink.net>
Cc:        Paul Traina <pst@Shockwave.COM>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd + synfloods + ip spoofing

On Wed, 22 May 1996, Charles C. Figueiredo wrote:

> > So we're to say 'well, they're wrong so its ok for us to be' ? I think not
> >
> > Brett
> >

> 	Of course not! The only point I was touching on, is the fact that
> you were wrong in making FreeBSD's implementation seem archaic and
> extremely insecure in comparison to others. Which it isn't.

I disagree, considering all the testing I've done in the last few days with
sequencing and synfloods I'd have to say fbsd is the all around loser in
this category. I've tested the following OS's for ease of sequence guessing,
guess which one was by far the easiest to screw with:

FreeBSD
Linux
HP-UX
Solaris 2.4
Solaris 2.5
Solaris 2.4x86
Solaris 2.5x86
SunOS 4.1.1
SunOS 4.1.3 (note that SunOS was pretty easy to fuck over as well)
Irix
BSDi 2.0
AIX (version unknown)
UnixWare 2.3

and at least 2 others which I don't recall off hand

Of all of these the FreeBSD and the SunOS machines were incredibly easy to
hose up by guessing their tcp sequences, the others took on the average of
10 tries apiece to get even close.

Brett