Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:36:19 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting passwored data via a perl cgi

According to Colin Eric Johnson:
> Is there a way to allow other users access to complete password database?
> I understand, basically, why this is restricted but I'm not sure how else
> to solve this given FreeBSDs restrictions.

Either you make it setuid root or you wipe up a daemon that runs as root and
make your script discuss with the daemon. The daemon could cache entries for
example (although pwd lookups should be fast thanks to the DB files).
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 4.0-CURRENT #73: Sat Jul 31 15:36:05 CEST 1999