Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:44:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Dan Langille <dan@freebsddiary.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: skip requires X?

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Chuck Robey wrote:

> Now that way of approaching things I can completely agree with.  It would
> indeed be a good thing if it were possible to option in or out some
> dependencies at build time.  Make packaging damn near impossible, tho.

Not especially. There's no reason you couldn't make the package require
all the bells and whistles through reasonable defaults, and still allow
people to build pared down versions by compiling the port from scratch
(using something like the NO_X11 environment variable, for example). A
good example of something that works like this already is cvsup; the
package assumes you have X installed, but you can build the port without X
support by setting NO_X11=YES.

Cheers,
Mick